Monday, June 6, 2011

Whats for Dinner

So when my husband deployed the first time some girlfriends and I decided to host weekly dinners at each others house. Not only was it nice to get together ounce a week since all our husbands where deployed but it gave us the opportunity to learn new recipes. All of us had only been married for about 2 years or so so our cooking was still a work in progress. Heck after 6 years my cooking is still a work in progress but it has gotten a lot better. My poor husband had to endure eggs, grilled cheese, spaghetti, and salads the whole first year of our marriage. The spaghetti really did not count because its the one thing he does not like but it was the first thing I learned to cook because I LOVE it! n/e back to the story.....It was at one of these dinners that I learned this recipe. We would show up early to help the hostess, which was Leza this day, to help out with dinner and learn how to make. Over the years I have changed it a bit and that came about that I never wrote the recipe down so I would make it from memory. Every time I would ask Leza I would call her the day off to ask her and still would not write the recipe down! ne hope you guys enjoy and if you make it let me know or send me a link to see your wonderful creation!

I make this for my husband and I and our 3 year old son and we still have leftovers

Tortilla Chicken Casserole



INGREDIENTS
3 boneless skinless chicken breast cooked and shredded (I boil it and then shred)
1 tomato chopped (Leza uses Rotel but even the mild one comes out a bit spicy for son you could also use can of diced tomatoes undrained)
1/2 onion (another thing my friend does not use because she does not like onions)
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 can of cream of celery soup
5 flour tortillas cut up
1 1/2 cups of mixed veggies (my friend uses canned corn or peas)
1/2 cup shredded mexican style blend cheese

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Sauté onions till almost clear then add your tomatoes.
2. Add shredded chicken
3. Season to taste **
4. add veggies
5. add soups and stir it till everything is well blended.
6. cover and let it all come to a simmer.
7. spray your casserole dish with spam and lay down tortillas
8. add a layer of the chicken mixture then another layer of tortillas
9. continue doing this till you have used up all your mixture.
10. you should end your last layer with the tortillas and then sprinkle the cheese over.
11. put in a 350 oven till cheese is melted and the tortillas get a little crispy







I served it with a side of rice.

** so this is what I added to chicken. If you know me I add this stuff to everything I make. I dont have exact measurements because when I cook I dont measure this stuff but what I used was;
Season all, season salt, oregano, bay leaves, and ground pepper and I sauté the onion and tomato with olive oil

Visit my friends blog Our Love Story for her other variation of this recipe.


Post a Comment